Programmatic printing is a method for database-based, automated production and distribution of highly personalised or targeted print documents, such as mailings or catalogs. They can be used as mailings, addressed (dialog mail), partially addressed or unaddressed via household distribution. Catalogs usually reach recipients via direct delivery or as an insert in a parcel shipment.
Production is triggered by an occasion, such as a shopping cart abandonment or a booking.
Print production takes place in digital printing and each page of a print document can be composed of different content and layout modules. The data comes from product, media or customer databases, such as addresses, item numbers, prices or images. Other data sources include merchandise management, booking and customer loyalty systems.
Examples of variable content
- Recipient data
- Products, texts and images matching the customer segment (age, gender, preferences, brand affinity), a booking or product recommendation
- Texts and graphics, such as coupons and vouchers for promotions
- Product recommendations
- Information depending on the order method (postal, telephone, online)
- Coupons or payment options depending on creditworthiness and payment behavior
Related production processes
Programmatic printing belongs to the automated print production processes, such as database publishing or dynamic publishing, whereby the personalisation and target group orientation is in the foreground with Programmatic Printing.
Programmatic Printing as part of marketing automation systems is used to output print mailings.
You need help? We offer provider-neutral consulting.
Technical terms for P
- Technical term Packaging
- Technical term PDF
- Technical term PDF engine
- Technical term PDF/VT
- Technical term PDF/X
- Technical term Performance marketing
- Technical term Personalisation
- Technical term Photoshop
- Technical term PIM
- Technical term Plug-in
- Technical term PNG
- Technical term POD
- Technical term Pop-up
- Technical term POS
- Technical term POS-TV
- Technical term PR
- Technical term Print
- Technical term Print marketing
- Technical term Printed file upload
- Technical term Product classification
- Technical term Programmatic advertising
- Technical term Programmatic printing
- Technical term Project management
- Technical term Publishing server
- Technical term PURL